People with food allergies should always be on the lookout for health alerts detailing recalls of food products that may contain undeclared allergens. This is the case of the Local Fixe pasta and bread souvenir that the company announced a while ago. Several products may contain wheat, but Local Fixe did not list the ingredient on product packages.
Most people can still consume the products of this pasta and bread recall without experiencing any problems. But those who are allergic to wheat should avoid them. The same is true for people with celiac disease and other gluten sensitivities who should not consume wheat. The gluten-free community needs to see this.
Local Fixe’s Bread and Pasta Recall
Local Fixe announced the recall of several pasta and bread products a few days before Christmas. The company initiated the recall with the knowledge of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Oregon Department of Agriculture. The full announcement is available at this link.
The company initiated the recall after discovering the distribution of pasta and bread containing undeclared wheat or gluten. The packaging of these products did not indicate the presence of wheat or gluten, as it should have.
The following bread and pasta products are included in the Local Fixe recall:
- Classic Lasagna Sheets 1.0 lb. – Product is frozen and packaged in brown freezer wrapping paper with an oval label with the Local Fixe logo. All lot codes 44536 and under
- 8 oz Noodle Soup – Product is frozen and packaged in brown wrapping paper with an oval label with the Local Fixe logo. All lot codes 44536 and under
- Dinner rolls 1 pound 3 oz. – The product is frozen and packaged in a Ziploc-type plastic bag with a white label. All lot codes 44536 and under
- Pie crust 1 lb 2 oz. – The product is frozen and packed in white freezer paper with a white label and the Local Fixe logo. All lot codes 44536 and under
- Squid Ink – Fettucine Range 10-15 lbs. – The product is packaged in a transparent plastic bag with a white label. There are 60/4 oz. servings per bag. All lot codes 44536 and under
- Fresh flour tortillas 1 lb 3 oz. – The product is fresh and packed in a Ziploc-type plastic bag with a white label. All lot codes 44536 and under
What should you do
The Local Fixe Bread and Pasta recall is only for Douglas County Oregon buyers. This is where the company sold the products on the list above. But if you’ve been traveling on vacation, it could affect you even if you haven’t purchased any of these products yourself.
If you have a wheat allergy, have celiac disease, or have other gluten sensitivities, you should stop consuming any of these pasta and bread products. Instead, you must contact Local Fixe to dispose of your current supply for a refund.
Even if you are not allergic to wheat and do not suffer from gluten-related conditions, these products are still risky to use. You should ensure that guests you may have do not consume these products at any time in the future, especially those with allergies or celiac disease.
Local Fixe said in its ad that it has received no reports of illnesses due to the consumption of its mislabeled products.
Lastly, you should see the full Local Fixe Bread and Pasta recall announcement on the FDA website.