Good morning, Laurel! Here’s everything you need to know to get off to a good start this Friday.
First, today’s weather:
Becoming sunny; windy, colder. High: 30 Low: 15.
Here are the top five stories on Laurel today:
- The American Red Cross and NFL partner for National Blood Donor Month inviting football fans and blood donors to join his rescue team and help patients in need. In gratitude to the donors who are helping at a time when the Red Cross blood supply is at historically low levels, Those who donate blood from January 1-31 will automatically be entered to win two tickets to Super Bowl LVI in Los Angeles, California! (American Red Cross)
- Governor Larry Hogan Recently announced Maryland is opening 10 COVID-19 testing sitessome of which will be fully operational by the end of next week. The Laurel Medical Center to be one of the new COVID-19 testing sites. Governor Hogan said all sites will offer walk-in testing without an appointment. (WBAL TV Baltimore)
- According to the Patch reporter The annual child care fair will be held on Saturday, February 26 from 10 am to 2 pm at the North Laurel Community Center, located at 9411 Whiskey Bottom Road in Laurel. Masks are required. Admission is free. (laurel patch)
- Pasta Plus Restaurant & Market on Gorman Ave, a much loved Laurel staple is closing its doors after nearly 40 years of service to the community. The owners announced Wednesday that they have decided to close their doors. They did not say the reason for the closure. (WJLA)
- Kyle Elio Ripper, 24, of Laurel, pleaded guilty on January 6 to tempting a minor. The guilty plea was announced by Maryland United States District Attorney Erek L. Barron, Special Agent in Charge James R. Mancuso of Baltimore Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), and Sheriff Joseph Gamble of the county sheriff’s office. by Talbot. Police discovered evidence that an adult man had sexual contact with a 14-year-old boy. (Net bay)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Laurel Daily is featured in part by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. to learn how 5G will change life for you and your community – and to get access to this incredible technology – click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource at Laurel!
Today in Laurel:
- Food bank – Organized by Our Savior Lutheran Church in Laurel (9:00 am to 11:00 am)
- Small group of ladies—Participate in a discussion-style Bible study on the book of Jonah. Enjoy fellowship time, snacks, and prayer time. Contact Gena Persons for more information. This event will take place at the Presbyterian Reformed Church of Christ (PCA) in Laurel. (9:00 am to 11:00 am)
- French Beaded Wildflowers with Donna Dickt (zoom only) – Attend this event at Bead Soup in Laurel. (11:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- New Years Resolutions ZUMBATHON GLOW Party! – Visit Fitness Revolution in Laurel to PARTICIPATE with The Zumba Tribe Dance to lose that festive weight! We’ll help you keep those New Years Resolutions! (12:00 to 14:00)
- Boys JV & Varsity Basketball v. College Park Academy (5:30 pm)
- Girls Basketball @ College Park Academy (5:30 pm)
- TO LAUGH. Live Comedy Show – Every Saturday we present the best national and local comedy acts from HBO, SHOWTIME, NETFLIX, AXSTV, Comedy Central, Last Comic Standing, Conan, Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert, MTV, VH1 and FX., At the Nottinghams Event Room in Columbia (Maryland) at The Columbia Comedy Club. (10:30 pm)
From my notebook:
- City of Laurel – Government: The first snowstorm of the year was challenging. It also provided stunning views of the beauty around us. Thanks Michael McLaughlin for sharing this snowy river photo with us.. Beautifull! (Facebook)
- City of Laurel – Government: Mayor Craig A. Moe was present when Governor Hogan announced a tour COVID-19-Trial site 19 opens at UM Laurel Medical Center. Ten new centers we offer rapid tests and PCR tests. (Facebook)
- City of Laurel – Government: Laurel Public Works will collect live Christmas trees to recycle on Wednesdays, Jan. 12, 19, and 26. You do not need to call to request a tree harvest, but it is recommended to do so to ensure your tree is not lost. (Facebook)
- Next door neighbor, Maryland City West: Anyone in the city of Maryland who can help me finish shoveling my driveway and sidewalk? My husband has broken ribs and he can’t help it. It will pay but you are not looking to spend a lot. (Beside)
- Next door neighbor, Stansfield Road: is there someone a little beagle is missing? He / she was running at Morningside Stables at Columbia Horse Center. (Beside)
- Next door neighbor, Montpelier: Fallen frozen tree in Muirkirk heading west near Old Muirkirk Road. Be careful. That stretch of road is not well scraped. (Beside)
- Sergeant Erika Monroe, Prince George’s County Police Department: RResidents are required to remove snow and ice from sidewalks adjacent to their property, as required by County Code.. Be a good neighbor and help those who cannot remove snow on their own. (Beside)
- Next door neighbor, Old Town Laurel: Does anyone have any suggestions for good ski resorts near Laurel that also feature snow tubing? (Beside)
- Next door neighbor Russett: Does anyone know of a good place to donate books? I have notebooks, sketchbooks, and unused reading books. (Beside)
More from our sponsors: thanks for supporting the local news!
- No One Can Survive Alone 7th Annual Concert for Bald Ballerina (January 9)
- FREE WEB SEMINAR | “Michelangelo and the Terrible Pope” Presented by Dr. Rocky Ruggiero (January 11)
- Add your event
Do you love the Laurel Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
They are all trapped for today. See you tomorrow for another update!
– Alexis Goring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I am a Bowie area resident with a pulse for featured people, news and stories! I have worked as a freelance writer / editor / proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I am also a published author, seasoned blogger, and founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here is the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.