Williams Foster III is aiming for big things this Friday on ShoBox (Photo by Emily Harney).
The pangs of guilt would eventually hit him. It is only where it would penetrate William Foster III’s consciousness and seep into his subconscious. Everyone was sometimes forced to walk away from Foster in line for elementary school lunch, because out of nowhere, he would cast a shadow if he missed a day at the gym.
Foster wouldn’t even know he was doing it.
It showed how deeply ingrained the sport was in his life.
On Friday night, Foster III will make its television debut on Showtime. ShoBox: the next generation from the Caribe Royale Resort (9 pm ET / PT) in Orlando, Florida.
Foster (13-0, 9 KOs) will face Edwin De Los Santos (13-0, 12 KOs) in an eight-round junior lightweight belt in support of the main event between Luis Núñez (15-0, 11 KOs) against Carlos Arrieta (14-0, 8 KOs) in a 10-round lightweight fight.
Starling Castillo (16-0, 12 KOs) will face Otar Eranosyan (10-0, 6 KO) in an eight-round fight at lightweight.
Foster, 28, comes from a family of boxers. His father started training William when he was four years old and his older brother Charles is an undefeated light heavyweight.
“Boxing is a part of me, it’s a big part of my life,” William said. “I watched the big fights with my father growing up. I’d watch Prince Naseem Hamed and Floyd Mayweather Jr. grow up. My dad would come home from the gym and teach us what he learned that day.
“You can tell that my living room was like a baby boxing gym. But as I got older, there were some distractions. I never really missed a week in the gym, but there were times when I would miss a day doing normal kid things. I wanted to spend time with my friends and date girls.
“But you get to the point where you miss a certain day or time, I would throw punches waiting in line for lunch and all my friends would say, ‘What the hell are you doing?’ and I didn’t even know I was doing it. “
De Los Santos, a 22-year-old southpaw, is seeking his eighth consecutive knockout. Foster has won three of his last four bouts by KO. Four of De Los Santos’ last six opponents did not make it out of the first round.
The “Silent Assassin” says he’s ready for anything De Los Santos brings. In February 2021, Foster arrived in Philadelphia and won a six-round decision over previously undefeated Donald Smith. In April 2018, Foster gave another undefeated prospect his first loss, when he won an eight-round decision over Sulaiman Segawa.
“I’m excited about this,” said William. “This is my presentation and my message to everyone at 130. I want to make a good impression and let everyone know who I am. He is left-handed and I have faced three left-handers. This is nothing new to me. “
Foster says the inside version of him, the teenager who was once throwing punches in the lunch line, will be there Friday night.
Joseph Santoliquito is an award-winning sportswriter who has been working for Ring Magazine / RingTV.com since October 1997 and is the president of the American Boxing Writers Association. You can follow him on twitter. @JSantoliquito.