A vet cautioned against giving up “toxic” mince pies, after a Labrador spent last Christmas at a pet hospital and made fun of five.
Paul and Debbie Walker were leaving their house to buy foil for the turkey when their mischievous canine Archie devoured the cakes, which they had left to cool on the kitchen counter.
When the couple got home, they found their nine-year-old pet looking embarrassed, with five mince pies missing.
Raisins and gooseberries are highly toxic to dogs, even a handful can cause potentially fatal poisoning and organ failure.
Debbie, 47, of Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute, immediately called the emergency vet for help, before rushing to the Vets Now 24/7 emergency pet hospital in Glasgow.
Veterinarians soon admitted Archie and gave him a vomit-inducing injection to clear his stomach.
The couple said they expect a less dramatic Christmas this year, while Vets Now issued a warning against leaving mince pies out.
Emergency vet Dave Hollinshead, who is part of the Video Vets Now team, said: “Our vets and veterinary nurses treated dozens of dogs last year that had eaten mince pies that they had not left for Santa and we expect something similar. this year.
“That is why it is important to raise awareness that raisins in mince pies can be toxic to dogs.
“If your dog gets a mince pie, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, or anything else with raisins and grapes, don’t delay having a vet check them out.”
Vets Now emergency vet Dave Leicester added: “We see more cases of raisin toxicity on Christmas Eve and Christmas than in an average month and that is why we want to raise awareness of the threat they can pose to dogs.”
Meanwhile, Debbie, a mother of two, said: “We look forward to a more peaceful and less dramatic Christmas this year.”
“As soon as we got home, I noticed five mince pies were missing and Archie looked embarrassed. We still have no idea how he managed to get to them from that height.
“It’s been many years since he stole food, so clearly mince pies smelled as good to Archie as they did to us.
“Archie was his usual upbeat, cheerful self and there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with him, but Archie is such an important part of our family that we just couldn’t take chances.
“They took blood samples and monitored him continuously before advising us to stay overnight for observation.
“It was Christmas Day when we got home and clearly an emergency trip to the vets had been the last thing we were planning for Christmas Eve.
“But it was really important to us to have the peace of mind that he was getting the proper care.
“Archie ended up staying through Boxing Day and we were delighted to get the call to pick him up, totally healthy and well thanks to the Vets Now team.”
To see more stories from where you live, visit In your area